Thursday, May 11, 2006

No Worries

The other day I had a small, but interesting, realization about to worry. If I worry about a future event, I suffer one more time than I may need to.

When I worry, I first suffer in the present and then again if that future event comes true.

Note the word “if”. It may or may not come true.

So if that event doesn't come true, then I suffered unnecessarily by worrying. If it does come true, then I suffered twice; the first time while I worried and the second when it occurred. Note the worry can’t have any material effect on the future, but it can have the profound material effect on the present of making you live in a state of fear.

It makes no rational sense to worry. I will have to remind myself of that next time I am freaking out about something.

No comments: